If you are moving home, you might be considering taking your appliances with you. When moving appliances, it is essential that you plan for moving them because they might not seem as easy as you might believe to actually move them.If you are not using a removals company to help you move them then you should make sure that you understand what to expect and what you need to do to ensure you move them safely and without damaging the floors in your house. Check out below our expert tips for moving appliances.
Moving House? Here Are Some Tips to Move Your Appliances
Fortunately, it is possible to take care of moving large appliances yourself using our helpful tips. You can save a lot of hassle and costs if you take care of this in the right way as you won’t cause damage to your floor and need to spend money replacing it. Whether it’s a washing machine or a fridge, let us help you to move large appliances and small appliances the easy way.
Tips for Moving Large Appliances
- Disconnect all cables and pipework and make sure your water supply is turned off if you are moving a washing machine or dishwasher
- It is possible that you could damage tiles, rip carpets, and scratch wooden flooring if you move appliances without the use of appliance rollers. These are placed under your large appliance to help keep them off the floor. If you don’t have these available, then you can use thick cardboard or old carpet to put underneath your appliance to help you move it.
- All appliance doors should be held firmly using string or tape. This ensures that they don’t swing open when moving them as this could cause further damage to walls.
- With your appliance out of its original position, you might want to spend time cleaning the area. It’s surprising how much dirt and grime can find its way under and behind your appliance.
- Make sure you measure all doorways and openings of your new home before you begin moving your appliance. This will tell you what you need to do to get your appliance in.
- Don’t move large appliances on your own. It is usually a two-person job, so make sure you have someone with you.
Tips for Moving Small Appliances
- To begin moving small appliances, you are going to need boxes as this will save you time when moving them.
- Don’t over fill the boxes and make sure that they are strong enough to hold the weight of your small appliances.
- If you don’t have boxes, then you can wrap them up in tea towels, bubble wrap, or even towels as this will stop them from getting damaged when you move house.
- Make sure all cables are protected too and you can do this by rolling them up and either taping them or securing them with bubble wrap.
Tips for Moving Kitchen Appliances
- When moving your fridge and freezer, make sure you remove all food and other items stored in it. This will make it lighter but also easier to carry.
- Defrost your freezer as well as the back of your fridge. If you don’t do this, you will find that it will leak water.
- Make sure you keep your fridge upright as this will ensure the coolant remains in place.
- Your washing machine drum can become damaged during transit so spend time securing it by using transit bolts. They come with your washing machine but can be purchased.
- Make sure you remove your transit bolts once you have moved as it will prevent the drum from moving freely and could cause your washing machine to jump around.
- Ensure all pipework is disconnected and fixed to the machine to make moving easier and safer.
- If you are taking your oven, ensure the gas is turned off and if you are unsure of what you are doing, give the experts a call.
- Remove all shelves and trays as this will make your kitchen appliance lighter.
- Remove your dishwasher by turning off the water supply before disconnecting all pipework.
- Secure the door by using tape as this will ensure that the trays do not come out.
Move Appliances to Your New Home With Man And Van Removals Service
When it comes to moving house, why take care of it on your own when you can use a man and van service? By using a leading removals company, you can be sure that everything is taken care of in a professional and efficient way, so get in touch with us today to find out more.